- Instructor: Julien Chaisse
- Duration: 3 hours
Date: 28 April 2023 (Friday) Time: 9:30am–12:45pm Language: English Level: Elementary
Speaker: Julien Chaisse, Full Professor, School of Law, City University of Hong Kong
Lawyer CPD / ACCA CPD / SFC CPT / Insurers’ CPD Pts: 3 Fee: HK$1,790
Highlights : The Belt and Road Initiative (or “One Belt, One Road”- OBOR) refers to the Silk Road Economic Belt and 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, a significant development strategy launched by the Chinese government with the intention of promoting economic co-operation among countries along the proposed Belt and Road routes.
The Initiative has been designed to enhance the orderly free flow of economic factors and the efficient allocation of resources. It is also intended to further market integration and create a regional economic co-operation framework of benefit to all.
The Course will provide you with a detail account of the OBOR design, its implications for foreign investment projects, the international law applicable to them and the dispute settlement mechanisms that can be used. In this course you will have an opportunity to:
- Identify the international applicable to OBOR projects;
- Identify the drawbacks to litigating in either home or host state courts,
- Consider why arbitration is often viewed as an attractive alternative to litigation in domestic courts,
- Identify the advantages investor-state disputes settlement holds over state-state dispute settlement,
- Consider the appropriate source of those rules – national law, international law, non-binding codes of conduct, rules in arbitral institutions,
- Consider the importance of designating a place of arbitration, because in a non-ICSID case the law of the place of arbitration will govern the amount of assistance that local courts will give the arbitration and the applicable set-aside rules.